* PDF File: 25.24 MB | 150 pages
* To order Multiple or District User
Licenses with a Purchase Order
use our Order Form.
Counting Rhymes provide opportunities for children to practice a range of math skills including counting, numeral recognition, addition and subtraction. In addition to these benefits, research suggests that early learning of traditional rhymes and rhythmic poems, songs, and chants significantly enhances early reading skills and phonemic awareness. This resource contains 34 traditional and modern rhymes in four formats:
1. Large rhyme page can be enlarged and used as a Shared Reading text. Focus on one rhyme per week and create a class Counting Rhymes Big Book. Alternatively, project the rhymes onto your interactive whiteboard for use during Shared Reading sessions.
2. Small rhyme page (2 per page) can be photocopied for children to paste into their individual Counting Rhymes Book. Add a rhyme each week throughout the year and have them available to children during independent reading sessions.
3. Cloze activity pages provide opportunities for students to practice writing numerals while reading rhymes. Once children are familiar with a rhyme these pages can be laminated and used as a center activity with dry erase markers.
4. Sentence strip pages can be:
5. Innovating on the text: Several rhymes also include templates for students to innovate on the structure of the text to create original rhymes for display as wall stories or class books. Once children are familiar with the structure of a rhyme the templates can be used to write their own rhymes either as a class or individually. Brainstorm and list appropriate words to replace words from the rhyme that have been omitted on the template. Children can then use these lists as a reference when making up their own versions of the rhyme.